Working Momma Diaries: Work Trips
This month I'm starting a new series - the Working Momma Diaries - to share some of the things I've learned while balancing work and being a momma.
For those that don't know me well, I travel for work. I used to travel every week and took a role for the current year where I travel about 1-2 times a month instead. My husband also travels for work 100% of the week. Needless to say, we have spent the past few months figuring out a new routine and balancing crazy travel, airplanes, nap times, family time, bedtime, and trying to find time for friends and romance. I looked around and realized a lot of my momma friends work and figured I'd share some of the best tips I've learned from them and my time so far.
This week I'm talking about being a momma who works on the road. I'll do some additional posts on: clothes you don't need to dry clean, keeping a convenient nursery, my "go-live" checklist for new mommas on the countdown for their new babe AND my downloadable baby registry checklist! Everything to help make new mommas live's easier!!
So here we go: my list of the five things I do on the road - and prepping for going on the road - to make it easier. Not gonna lie, I suffer a lot of mom guilt on the road and the last trip I took, my babe cried and reached out for me while I left the house in my uber and it broke.my.heart. I know it's all for the good of our family, I have a great job I love, but I sometimes have to find silver linings on the road to cheer myself up.
1. Pamper Yourself: I always plan to work out every morning and/or get a massage, manicure or a blow out while on the road. My husband travels every weekday, so when I'm not on the road, I put the baby to bed and wake up with the baby every day. By myself. SO, the best treat I can offer myself is a nice pampering sesh, hot shower with a glass of wine before me, a good sleep, and waking up to my own alarm, on my own time to workout without chasing a toddler!
2. Take Something Sentimental with You: Part of the reason my hubby got me my sapphire ring as a push present, was so I could have something when on the road that I wore every day to remember my baby. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of her and makes me feel closer to her.
3. Bring a Hobby with You: Confession - I am currently addicted to watching Parenthood, Vampire Diaries, and the Mindy Project and reading "Outlander." I am usually way too tired after a long day of work and chasing after the baby to do much more than fall asleep, so when I have some quiet on the road, I like to binge on reading my new series and/or some netflix. Hey, that's what room service wine is for, am I right?!
4. Plan Friend Catch Ups: Another way I keep from staying lonely on the road is to plan Facetime and Skype catch ups with my friends. It's like a girls night - the virtual version - and makes me look to the evenings because I'm not really alone!
5. Bring Your Favorite Clothes: Sometimes, the best I can do in the mornings at home is put on some cute statement earrings, jean shorts and a t-shirt. I've been packing all of my favorite dresses, heels, and statement necklaces to wear on the road because I don't have to worry about someone pulling or eating them, trying to balance a toddler and not falling in my stilettos or getting mushy peas on my favorite sheath dress.
6. Set up Pictures and Facetime with the Babe: I usually ask my mom or nanny to send a daily summary and either a picture or a set up a quick Facetime chat to say hello and sing her to sleep! It puts some joy in my step in the mornings and evenings, too!
That's all I got so far, folks. Anyone else have any tips for how to make work trips a bit easier on our mom conscious?